Friday 2 August 2013

Eating Seasonably: August

Here we are at the beginning of August with a whole new bounty to eat. We are loving eating seasonably in our household, and it has made us focus more on how, as well as what, we eat. We have been checking our list and thinking about how we can incorporate each of the foods in new and tasty ways.


So, what's on our hit list for August? Well, according to the Eat Seasonably calendar, the top three for August are plums, raspberries and cos lettuce. We are also going to make sure we include blueberries, celery, more cucumbers, bell peppers, spinach and sweetcorn. I'll report back at the end of the month and let you know how we got on.

But how did we do in July...? Not too bad, I think! We tried everything on our list except beetroot. I love beetroot, but can't eat it right now because of my health, which was a-okay with the girls as they both loathe it! Otherwise, we sampled all kinds of melons and berries and ate our way through mountains of cherries. As for greens, peas were easy as we eat those with almost every meal anyway; courgettes were harder but I sneaked them into a chicken dish with creme fraiche and sun-dried tomato pesto and they went down very nicely indeed.

And our real coup? Well, this year we grew our own lettuce and cucumbers (both regular ones and mini ones). I have to say, I was as excited as the kids were heading out to the terrace with my little basket to pick fresh veggies! Hopefully, by next month our potatoes and carrots will also be ready to pick. Watch this space...!



No comments:

Post a Comment